Thursday, December 17, 2009

My Favorite Films of the Decade

My favorite films of the decade by year. I tried very hard to limit this to one film for each year, but as you can see I had to pick two a few times. It was just too tough of a decision.

2000:
Magnolia I still don't know what was up with the frogs. One time I watched this four times in the span of two days, so that should tell you how much I love this movie.

Requiem for a Dream 70% of why I love this film is for Clint Mansell's score.

2001:
A.I.: Artificial Intelligence, I loved Kubrick, and I usually like what Spielberg does (except War of the Worlds, what a shite film), so this was amazing to me. I even liked the ending.

2002:
Catch Me if You Can, Another Spielberg movie. Who would have thunk it?

2003:
Finding Nemo, Pixar is amazing. Period.

Kill Bill, I consider this one movie. Screw that Vols. 1 & 2 split up. Epic revenge tale with amazing fight choreography, and that tracking shot in the House of Blue Leaves? Epic!

2004:
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Easily my favorite movie of the decade. It captures love and hurt in a way that speaks to my soul perfectly.

2005:
Sin City, Can we please get a sequel to this already?

2006:
Pan's Labyrinth, Saw this in the theater twice. Hung out at Wal-Mart at midnight the day it came out on DVD so I could watch it again and again.

Children of Men, As far as dystopian future movies go, this is tops in my book.

2007:
Lake of Fire, A documentary on both sides of the abortion debate. The most objective look I've seen on the subject. Very powerful stuff. A MUST SEE!

2008:
Let the Right One In, In a year when everyone caught Twilight fever, this little foreign vampire flick showed what a true love story is. Forget Team Edward or Team Jacob, I'm on Team Eli!

2009:
Inglourious Basterds, This could change once I've seen more 2009 movies, but so far it is the front runner. If Christoph Waltz doesn't win an Oscar for his role as Colonel Hans Landa, there is no God.

No comments: