Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Grad School

Recently I've been thinking a lot about graduate school. I have an Associate's Degree in Film & Video Production, and hopefully at the end of the Spring 2011 semester I'll have my Bachelor of Fine Arts in Theatre Arts Performance. After that, I would love to pursue an MFA in Creative Writing. At first, I thought I would just continue at UCO, which is still a possibility, but hopefully I will be able to go somewhere out of state. When I first started thinking about grad school, UCO was really my only choice, and it was a safe choice. But I'm tired of making safe choices, and I feel I deserve a better opportunity. The director of Three Sisters, John Dennis, told me I should apply at the University of Iowa. The voice of doubt crept in immediately, and I thought "I don't know about that, I think I'll just stick with UCO." After some deliberation however, I've decided I'm going to apply to some prestigious Creative Writing programs and see what happens. My top choice is the University of Texas. They have a really great program, but they only accept twelve people a year. Although my chances may be slim, I'm going to at least try. I'll also apply at Iowa and a few other schools, including UCO. It feels good to have set this goal early so I can focus and have time to get everything together and go for it. I love school, and I love to write. It is the one thing I know I'm good at. Ending sentences in prepositions notwithstanding, I know I'm a good writer, and I know deserve to go to a good graduate school. Wish me luck.

No comments: