Friday, September 25, 2009

Follow the Yellow Brick Road

On Wednesday, I had the opportunity to see The Wizard of Oz on the big screen. I have always loved TWOO; I have fond childhood memories of watching it annually when it came on TV. I own the DVD. So when I learned they were showing it in theaters for the film's 70th anniversary, I just knew I had to be a part of it. For me, watching a movie on the silver screen, isn't necessarily about the movie so much as it's about the communal experience. I've seen the Wizard of Oz a million times, and will probably see a million more, but to sit in a crowded theater amongst complete strangers, and to hear their reactions is a beautiful thing. I laughed with them. I cried with them. We all let out a collective "awwww" when some kid started crying when Miss Gulch took Toto away from Dorothy. It was a great experience, and I'm glad I didn't miss it.

No comments: