Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Lion of the Senate

After a yearlong battle with brain cancer Senator Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts has died. I don't know what this says, but the first thing I thought of when I heard the news of his passing was the tragic incident when Kennedy drove off a bridge in Chappaquiddick. He escaped, but his passenger, Mary Jo Kopechne, drowned. This is not because of political bias, as I am as liberal as they come. No, I think there are many of us out there who grew up seeing Ted Kennedy portrayed as a boozer; the stereotypical Irishman who likes to knock a few back. But that really isn't his legacy. Kennedy somewhat cleaned up his act, and became a well respected leader in the Senate, someone who could reach across teh aisle and get things done. It's sad that he didn't live to see meaningful health care reform passed, as this was a cause dear to his heart that he championed to the very end. If health care legislation passes, I think they should put Kennedy's name on it in honor of his memory.

No comments: