Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Social Network and Piranha

Recently I've been catching up on all the 2010 movies I missed that have made their way to DVD. I've been itching to see The Social Network, and since I never return movies back to Netflix (maybe I should switch to the streaming only plan), I headed to the closest Redbox to rent it. While I was there I noticed they also had Piranha, so I picked it up too since I've also been wanting to see it. The Social Network did a decent job of keeping me interested in a pretty boring subject. It's main strength is the dialog of Aaron Sorkin's screenplay. I also enjoyed Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross's score, but that was no surprise since I'm a long time fan of Nine Inch Nails. 4 out of 5 stars.

Piranha was a complete one-eighty from ...Network's Oscar baiting pedigree. Shlocky, bloody madness from pretty much start to finish. I am a huge fan of this type of movie, but something about Piranha just didn't do it for me. There were cool cameos, lots of gratuitous T&A, and a ton of grisly deaths. This is normally a formula for success in my book, but something didn't click. Maybe it was the unlikeable characters, whose deaths I just shrugged off, or the blatant 3D gimmicks which I couldn't enjoy in the home setting. 2.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments: